[LEAPSECS] it's WP7A week in Geneva

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 3 07:17:28 EDT 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <1254164464.4ac107f0211cd at webmail.unb.ca>, "Richard B. Langley" writ

> es:

>> <http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/ITU_future_UTC_(CGSIC_49th).pdf>

> Thanks.

> Although I do appreciate what the context conveys, I did smile when I

> noticed that the last slide mentions "GPS time" but ends with

> "Only UTC can be disseminated".

> I don't know if GPS or POSIX time is the most diseeminated timescale,

> but I suspect they both beat UTC by an order of magnitude when it comes

> to number of receivers...

Almost every GPS receiver also applies the UTC corrections to produce a
UTC time. Infact, many of them can't externally produce any other time
than UTC. Some has the ability to deliver GPS time or UTC time. Only a
fraction of the receivers made only use GPS time, but then for some
specific use.

So it is UTC and not GPS you should compare.

Cheers,
Magnus