[LEAPSECS] it's WP7A week in Geneva

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Thu Sep 10 09:11:37 EDT 2009

Quoting Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu>:

> > There will likely be a report on anything significant at the CGSIC

> > meeting in Savannah the week after next

> <http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/cgsic/meetings/49thmeeting/49th_CGSIC_Meeting_Agenda.htm

> > >.

> > -- Richard Langley

> It's impressive that civil GPS discussions reach back through so many

> meetings. Any idea when the 1st CGSIC meeting was held?

Probably 1986:

Title: Civil GPS Service Interface Committee (CGSIC)
Author: Heywood O. Shirer
Meeting: Proceedings of the 1991 National Technical Meeting of the Institute of
Navigation
January 22 - 24, 1991 Sheraton San Marcos Hotel Phoenix, AZ
Page(s): 183 - 185
Abstract: The Civil GPS Service Interface Committee (CGSIC) was established to identify
civil GPS user technical information needs in support of the Civil GPS (CGS) program.
To effectively identify information needs that relate to the civil use of GPS, the
CGSIC interfaces between civil GPS users, the Civil GPS Program Office, and the GPS
operators (Department of Defense). The current CGSIC evolved from DOD preliminary
planning for a GPS civil user interface function in 1986. As part of the effort, an
oversight committee led by the USAF Joint Program Office, with representatives from
government, industry and the user community, was established to provide a GPS
Information and Data System for the civil community. This committee became known as the
Civil GPS Service Steering Committee and became jointly chaired by DOD and DOT after DOT
accepted responsibility for the civil interface in 1987. In 1988 DOT assumed the sole
Chairmanship of the CGSSC, but with continued DOD representation on the committee. In
early 1991 the Committee's named was changed to the Civil GPS Service Interface
Committee (CGSIC) and its charter revised to more accurately reflect its mission of
establishing a forum for technical information exchange. The current CGSIC is jointly
chaired by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Research and Special Programs Administration
and consists of a general committee and five subcommittees that meet about every four
months. Until recently the CGSIC consisted of a general committee open to all and an
executive committee restricted to government representatives. The executive committee
was dropped in an interest to open up the meetings to all interested groups. Membership
in the Committee is intended to represent the widest possible coverage of the civil
community. About 100 participants from relevant private, government, and industry user
groups, both U.S. and international, attend each meeting.

> The last

> five such meetings have been annual, but I'm not having much luck

> clicking through the site for earlier info. GPS as a project dates

> back to the mid-70's, right?

Started in 1973.

> With completion in the early 90's?

How do you define "completion"? Reaching FOC (full operational capability)? Then, July
17, 1995.

> Presumably they met more frequently early on, but that still seems

> like a lot of meetings (for just the civil sub-community) to squeeze in.

Go to the "Wayback Machine" aka Internet Archives to find more. Use www.navcen.uscg.gov
as well as www.navcen.uscg.mil (previous URL). You should be able to get back to at
least the 22nd meeting (1993).

-- Richard

Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang at unb.ca
Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142
University of New Brunswick Fax: +1 506 453-4943
Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3
Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/