[LEAPSECS] it's WP7A week in Geneva

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Sep 10 09:36:20 EDT 2009

On 2009 Sep 10, at 02:55, Nero Imhard wrote:

> But I'm quite disappointed that the question on the table continues

> to be

> "should UTC abandon leap seconds?", while the relevant question is

> "should

> the ITU stop using/broadcasting a time scale that is causing

> trouble?".

> I'm worried that this hasn't even been considered by WP7A.

I believe that this can only happen if one of the member delegations
submits a document detailing such a proposal. It would seem most
likely for it to come from a nation where mean solar time is the
current legal standard (Denmark? UK?). But I think the proposal
has to come along with significant support from the technical
communities in the form of agreement that such a change is preferable
to the stalemate of the past few years. It has to overcome
whatever objection has prevented the adoption of the result of the
WP7A's 2003 colloquium in Torino.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855