[LEAPSECS] ITU-R SG7 to consider UTC on October 4

ashtongj ashtongj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 16:29:17 EDT 2010

(I'm sorry for any duplication, I meant to send this to the group.)

McCarthy and Seidelmann, on page 17 of _TIME: From Earth Rotation to
Atomic Physics_ (2009) state "GMT is still used as the official time
scale of the United Kingdom and in some communication systems as UTC."

I have also read, although I do not recall exactly where, that the UK
Parliament debated changing the law to specify that the basis of time
was UTC, but in the end no action was taken.