[LEAPSECS] The Debate over UTC and Leap Seconds

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Aug 10 13:57:03 EDT 2010

On Tue 2010-08-10T11:14:15 -0600, M. Warner Losh hath writ:

> I think that he means that the WP7A folks are telling the software

> community that either they suck, or it really isn't a problem. either

> way, screw you, we're not going to listen to what you have to say and

> instead make up crap so we can justify our position.

Actually, what I meant is that between 1966 and 1970 they started
telling that to the astronomers and the time service bureaus,
disregarding their longstanding efforts to conform technology
with treaty. At that point in history the only software
relevant to precision epoch counting was in those agencies.

Now that there is one, I'm not surprised if they extend the same
discourtesy to the software community.

For those in the US, the USSG7 telecon is next Monday Aug 16 at 1 PM
Eastern Daylight Time. The relevant individuals are the chair
of USSG7, Wayne White and the chair of USWP7A, Wayne Hanson.
I can't say how Hilary Clinton would react if contacted, but
the position of the US on the draft revision of TF-460 is at stake.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855