[LEAPSECS] ITU-R SG7 to consider UTC on October 4

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Aug 10 17:42:00 EDT 2010

In message <4C61BD56.9080302 at yahoo.com>, Michael Deckers writes:

> This I find very hard to believe. I do not think this would be

> possible in English or German law: if prior written law was

> superseded it had to be revoked or changed explicitly, paragraph

> by paragraph.

In theory that is the same in Demark, but we made the constitutional
mistake of not having a body that can enforce that, so the parliament
gets to enforce that themselves, and they don't.

Rule #1: Never start a land-war with Russia

Rule #2: Never forget to add a constitutional court to your
constitution.

:-)

> I can see what the European Directive says, regardless of the

> mindset of European bureaucrats. The Directive is not clear

> about the time scale, [...]

I am 100% convinced that the EU-court will find that it is painfully
clear that the directive mandates that all countries switch to
summer-time at the exact same moment, relative to the UTC timescale,
simply on the basis that the directive would be pointless under any
other interpretation.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe