[LEAPSECS] php breaks if UTC has no leap seconds?

Matsakis, Demetrios matsakis.demetrios at usno.navy.mil
Fri Dec 10 13:14:22 EST 2010

At the USNO, I had monthly meetings on Y2K problems starting in 1998.
Some were handled in software, and others required dealing with the
manufacturer. Our equipment that gave time to NTP via IRIG-B required a
special chip to prevent falling back 100 years upon restart. Some of
our GPS monitor equipment had to be replaced, although others were
handled in the data processing software. I personally wrote a computer
program to search through every line of code for any instance of "19",
and found some. The whole effort was significantly less than one
person-year of USNO labor. But government salaries are cheap, so the
cost in industry was doubtless much higher.