[LEAPSECS] Leap Sec vs Y2K

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Dec 10 23:15:45 EST 2010

On 11 Dec 2010 at 0:40, Paul Sheer wrote:

> At the ISP I consult for there are about 20 servers serving 60,000

> customers. Their clocks routinely go out of sync and it doesn't affect

> service.

I have a script that dumps the timestamps of each of a number of
servers where I work; this is a recent result:

Fri Dec 10 23:07:12 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:11 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:06 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:11 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:12 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:15 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:16 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:15 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:15 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:15 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:12 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:12 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:13 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:13 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:12 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:13 EST 2010
Fri Dec 10 23:07:13 EST 2010

They're more in sync than they were at various times in the past, due
in part to my own nagging of the sysadmin to get automatic time
syncing in place consistently (it sometimes takes a good deal of
fighting to get them to do that, as they are always deathly afraid of
it corrupting the database or something, due to the time being set
backward while it's running; this has always proved unfounded, as the
time syncing is now fully in place even on the database servers with
no ill effect). Still, there's a good deal of drift in between auto-
syncs, leading to a ten second gap between the most extreme outliers,
though most servers are within a five second span.

A leap second will be lost in the noise here, resulting merely in the
next regular adjustment going one second more (or less) than it would
have otherwise, with a different absolute magnitude on each server
depending on its own drift.

--
== Dan ==