[LEAPSECS] Leap Sec vs Y2K

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Sat Dec 11 21:02:55 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 01:20 +0000, Ian Batten wrote:

> > This is because by-and-large software is written for the "lowest

> > common denominator".

> NFS (the computing glue of the nineties) and Kerberos/AD

> (the computing glue of the noughties). [...]

please understand that I am only trying to break up the illusion
that all the worlds computer clocks tick over in unison.

indeed with these protocols, can I guess that,

1. syncronization is only required to within a couple of seconds
2. syncronization is only required between client and server within the
local LAN.
3. syncronization does not need to absolutely represent real time.
4. leap seconds, or the absence thereof, make no difference

-paul