[LEAPSECS] Leap Sec vs Y2K

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Dec 12 04:26:02 EST 2010

In message <1292118117.24926.52.camel at localhost>, Paul Sheer writes:

>I choose the solution that makes my flight the cheepest.

It is not a matter of flight being cheap or expensive.

If you only synchronize computer "on the order of minutes" the modern
airport ceases to function as such.

During initial and terminal phases, a modern jetplane move 100m/s and
many major airports have runway use in 30 second timeslots. You do
the math.

Radar stitching requires 3msec synchronization and timestamping, throughout
the entire area being stitched, often a radius of up to 1000 km.

You have just confirmed my suspicion that you have not a wisper of
a clue about what you are pontificating about.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe