[LEAPSECS] Leap Sec vs Y2K

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Dec 12 14:47:08 EST 2010

On 12/12/2010 11:28, Paul Sheer wrote:

> And is this 1000km radius precisely syncronized to all other 1000km

> radii around all airports in the world?

> No it need not be. I'm guessing that some may not even use NTP at all

> - or even be connected to the Internet to be able to use NTP.

All major airports are aligned to WGS84. You don't synchronize a
position, after all.

GPS can be used to synchronize time in the absence of NTP. NTP can be
run on systems that aren't connected to the internet. Other time
synchronization protocols exist.

Some system not needing to conform to a standard is not an excuse for
all systems to ignore that standard.

Warner