[LEAPSECS] DCF 77

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Dec 24 18:31:51 EST 2010

On 12/24/2010 03:35, Magnus Danielson wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 06:01 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> Just as the almanac info, the leap second info can be cached in the

>>> battery backed up memory. Many GPS receivers do have the feature, but

>>> not always is the battery installed. However, just because the

>>> receiver has a backup battery it does not mean the leap second info is

>>> placed there.

>> The cached information isn't very useful when the GPS receiver has been

>> off for a while. Coming up on a cold-spare GPS receiver requires that

>> you wait.

> True, but considering that the IERS announcement comes out over 5

> months in advance and that the GPS operations fairly quickly enters it

> into the system, you can with some good certainty know if you may have

> missed it and is affected. If you have stored away the time of last

> almanac you would be able to make the decision. The weak part of this

> method is that it depends on the practical routines of the GPS

> maintenance and not on a written down property of GPS.

Some of our customers likely wouldn't have been able to follow the 'plug
in your GPS spares every 6 months' routine maintenance.... Good advice,
but much of the cold-spare gear is at lights-out facilities that rarely
have people go there unless there's a problem (which is why there's
redudnant hardware: buying extra hardware is cheap compared to the
round-trip to these facilties).

> One could also avoid using a GPS receiver as timing source for the

> first time after wakeup such that it will attain the time offset

> information. It would be just another error condition for which it

> should squelch it's outputs and indicate errors on the serial port.

> The receiver do know it hasn't full information and can act

> accordingly and we won't get fooled by it. That's how you can solve it

> safely. It's booring to wait, but it is safe.

Yes. That's what we do in fact. However, the customer gets grumpy
about this because the timing signals we produce are needed more quickly
than that. There's fallback timing sources in this case, but it gets
messy (and involved writing a bunch of code).

Warner