[LEAPSECS] POSIX and C (Was: Re: ISO Influence)

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Dec 24 19:17:32 EST 2010

> I'd imagine there's been court cases that have decided this as well.

I'd be stunned if there were such a court case: a matter in which the
difference between GMT and UTC (or, indeed, any other 0.9s difference
in timescales) is going to be at issue is hard enough to construct as
an abstract exercise. The legislation that was proposed in 1997
tidied some loose ends, but I don't think it was primary legislation
that was desperately needed to tie up complex case law.

I've just done a search for everything which mentions both UTC and GMT
in Westlaw UK, and there's nothing aside from 12 EU documents, most of
which are just using "UTC/GMT" in such riveting reads as "Commission
Regulation (EC) No 3237/94 of 21 December 1994 laying down detailed
rules for the application of the arrangements for access to waters as
defined in the Act of Accession of Norway, Austria, Finland and
Sweden". Significantly, search for utc and gmt in cases returns
nothing.

If anyone knows of a case, shout, but I'd say a null return from a
primary database of caselaw says that it hasn't been decided in a court.

ian