[LEAPSECS] POSIX and C (Was: Re: ISO Influence)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Dec 25 18:04:55 EST 2010

In message <4D1676FE.32284.16EABE95 at dan.tobias.name>, "Daniel R. Tobias" writes

:

>So what that means is, even if you get the redefinition of UTC you're

>loudly pushing for, the legislatures of the world are free to totally

>ignore it and start using something else, sundials maybe, instead.

Absolutely.

But given that very few, if any of these have actually legislated
about leap-seconds, yet they still apply them to their local
timescale from the underlying UTC timescale, I think we can safely
assume that they will continue to follow UTC in this respect.

The entire point of the Meter Convention and of eliminating the
leap-second hack from UTC, is that we don't need to deal with each
government one by one.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe