[LEAPSECS] Skepticism

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Thu Dec 30 23:27:12 EST 2010

> The point is, there is a distinct advantage to regularity and

> predictability in leap seconds -- which you could get in trade by giving

> up on keeping DUT1 to less than 0.9 seconds.

I'm not aware of anyone denying that. It might have been interesting if
ITU-R had been proposing that. Instead they are (apparently) moving
from DUT1 from <= 0.9 seconds to DUT1 <= infinity.

Instead what they seem to be proposing is to brake the system,
let current people not have to worry about those pesky
leap seconds, and leave it to our grandchildren to fix, at
some unspecified time, in some unspecified manner. I for one
think that is an unwise way to proceed.