[LEAPSECS] Another reason not to mess with UTC

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Mar 1 08:09:04 EST 2010

You did note the section (http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.95.html#subj1):

"A test done in 2008 showed that it was easy to badly spoof ships of the
English coast, causing them to read locations anywhere from Ireland to
Scandinavia."

GPS is being built into critical infrastructure, for instance, for shipping and air traffic. One can certainly imagine Somali pirates finding jamming technology extremely attractive.

Precision timekeeping was invented for navigation at sea. Ship's captains already know how to use sextants. The comment about brass is hyperbole.

If traditional navigation based on mean solar time is not to be the fallback to GPS - then what is?

Rob
---