[LEAPSECS] Terminology question

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Mar 11 02:29:50 EST 2010

On Thu 2010-03-11T00:05:31 -0700, M. Warner Losh hath writ:

> I guess my thinking was influenced by the idealized problems we did in

> Physics. The wheels were idealized, with no friction. The falling

> bodies problems were idealized so there was no drag, etc.

As in the physics problem, the word "idealized" needs many other
sentences of explanation about what the treatment can and cannot to,
should and should not do, a willingness on the part of the student to
read through all those sentences, and diligence on the part of the
engineer to implement new systems in accord with them.

I hope that's what we're doing here. I just wish such frank and
accessible descriptions, caveats, and guidelines were provided along
with all of the time scale data products and services. I think it
would help a lot if the ITU-R could release TF.460.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855