[LEAPSECS] Degrees of Accommodating Time Based on Earth Rotation

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Nov 2 14:58:47 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I may be misremembering, I thought the longitude conference was in 1884 ?

Yes, but by that time there had already been 40 years of railway time in
the UK. We officially switched to a single time zone in 1880, but local
mean solar time had already been given up in most places for most
practical purposes by about 1855.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,