[LEAPSECS] An example

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Nov 2 16:38:05 EDT 2010

In message <20101102202753.GC21438 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

>On Tue 2010-11-02T20:22:29 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

>> It admits no such thing, and for all I know, and despite your

>> complaints about the lack of an "essen" unit, that there is more

>> than one definition of a second in use at present ?

>Section A.4.15

>http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xbd_chap04.html

> "Note that as a practical consequence of this, the length of a

> second as measured by some external standard is not specified."

>Is this not the POSIX standard?

Technically it is not, it is the Open Group standard, but that's not
material.

There is a difference between "not specified" and "different from".

I know of no compliant system, where seconds are not SI-second length
to the best of the ability of the hardware and software.

If you want to carry this point, please quote actual system documentation
that specifies a goal of having seconds different from SI seconds.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe