[LEAPSECS] ITU vs "our forum"

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 2 18:53:00 EDT 2010

> 5) Every time we have one of these entertaining discussions, the one obvious

> fact is that nobody associated with pushing the issue through the ITU-R is

> choosing to participate in our forum.

Is anybody surprised?

The ITU is an official body, sanctioned by the UN and indirectly by most
national governments through treaties. They get to make the rules. Why
should they pay attention to us?

Is there anything we can do about it?

Is there even consensus within this group?

I would readily agree that I haven't seen a document that looks like a good
overview, discussing the problem and the costs/benefits of various options.
(There might be one, or something like it, hidden within ITU. It's also
possible the info is there but spread across various emails or the minutes of
many meetings.) I'd also agree that we/they shouldn't do anything without a
document like that and time to review it and ...

I can live with leap seconds, but it wouldn't be hard to convince me to turn
them off and let DUT1 grow. But my vote/opinion probably doesn't matter.