[LEAPSECS] An example

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Tue Nov 2 19:23:48 EDT 2010

leapsecs-bounces at leapsecond.com wrote on 11/02/2010 04:27:53 PM:

> Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org>

> Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

> 11/02/2010 04:28 PM

> Re: [LEAPSECS] An example

> Sent by:

> leapsecs-bounces at leapsecond.com

> On Tue 2010-11-02T20:22:29 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

> > It admits no such thing, and for all I know, and despite your

> > complaints about the lack of an "essen" unit, that there is more

> > than one definition of a second in use at present ?

> Section A.4.15

> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xbd_chap04.html

> "Note that as a practical consequence of this, the length of a

> second as measured by some external standard is not specified."

Stopped quoting one sentence too soon. The very next sentence reads "This
unspecified second is nominally equal to an International System (SI)
second in duration."

The POSIX committee did understand the issue, but chose not to *require*
that SI seconds be implemented.

> Is this not the POSIX standard?

Yes it is. This document carries the imprimaturs of three standards
organizations, ISO, IEEE, and The Open Group, and so is thrice a standard.

Joe Gwinn

> --

> Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84

(GPS)