[LEAPSECS] A leap second proposal to consider -- LSEM

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Nov 3 04:20:26 EDT 2010

> So how about having a Leap Second Every Month (LSEM)?

I like it. I'm not sure it's the best solution, but it's an interesting idea
to consider.

> Astronomers should love this since it keeps UTC even closer to UT1 than what

> they have today.

That doesn't quite work. If I'm very close this month, then next month I'll
be off by almost a second.

If being close is a goal, I think you need fractional leap seconds.

> The Leap Second Every Month proposal creates certainty by going to 100%.

That doesn't make them predictable. I can't build the table/algorithm into
some firmware and know that it will work for the next 10 years without
updates.

Alternatively, it requires that all systems that keep accurate time have a
connection to someplace that tells them the sign of this months leap second.