[LEAPSECS] A leap second proposal to consider -- LSEM

Michael Deckers michael.deckers at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 19:06:03 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-03 18:43, Poul-Henning Kamp observed on
a remark by Rob Seaman:

> > "Universal Time" *means* "mean solar time".

> It probably did in the 1800's, in these days of Lego-toys on Mars,

> most people I have talked to, find it utterly strange that a timescale

> with "universal" in it, depends on one particular lump of rotating rock.

Since 2003, UT1 has no connection with the Sun -- it measures
Earth rotation independent of the revolution of the Earth around
the Sun (except for geodesic precession, sigh). So "mean solar
time" may well be considered a misnomer for UT1.

Since sidereal time is still well-defined (based on both UT1 and
TT), any definition of a mean sun could resurrect mean solar time
in the original sense, if desired. For the time being, it would not
deviate appreciably from UT1 (because that's how UT1 was redefined).

Michael Deckers.