[LEAPSECS] Cost: getting rid of GMT & discontinuing leap seconds

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Oct 25 11:28:37 EDT 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> You astronomers knew (and complained!) that UTC was unscientific when leap seconds were introduced, why then did you start to use it ?

That we were bullied before excuses bullying now?

> And having done so, why do you complain that the rest of the world does too ?

My objection is that the ITU-R proposal is naive and laughably incomplete, that the process is bureaucratic rather than driven by coherent system engineering practices, that due diligence in engaging stakeholders has been completely absent.

It is the proponents of this notion who are dismissive of the rest of the world.

>> The heart of my argument remains that civil timekeeping is mean solar time. Astronomers are just caught in the crossfire.

> And in this you are just plain wrong, as demonstrated by facts on the ground: A lot less than 1% of the planets population use a timescale which are within a minute of mean solar time.

All use a timescale whose rate is ultimately diurnal. I contend the SI rate is not close enough. You think otherwise. Focus on the engineering requirements, not trying to avoid same.

> Civil Timekeeping is whatever time the politicians decide.

Only in Asimov's Caves of Steel.

Rob