[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 45, Issue 3

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Thu Sep 2 17:03:40 EDT 2010

On 2 Sep 2010, at 21:04, Finkleman, Dave wrote:

> I believe that no one is advocating UT1 for civil time scales.

De facto UK time is UTC; de jure is UT, probably UT1.

> I have discovered that UTC is the statutory time scale for the United

> States but without qualification. In other words, if UTC changes

> and is

> still called UTC, the new definition would be the statutory

> requirement.

> Every process and system developed for the previous definition would

> be

> illegal.

I don't think it would be illegal in the sense you imply ("drop the
sundial and come quietly"), rather the default framework of
interpretation of contracts that don't specify anything else would
change. You're perfectly welcome to write contracts between
consenting adults that use any timescale you like, and one consequence
of this debate may to make legal drafters do precisely that.

ian