[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Sep 3 14:50:16 EDT 2010

In message <alpine.LSU.2.00.1009031840050.31615 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>, Tony F
inch writes:

>If the ITU change the

>definition of GMT, and if the British government continues to follow ITU

>recommendations and to disregard the historical astronomical meaning of

>GMT, then the equivalence will continue.

Just to highlight how laughable the retroimperialist love for GMT is:

Which exact meridian are we talking about again ?

Are we talking about the meridian Airy drew through his telescope or
the one we actually use, about 100m east of his telescope ?

Did anybody in England gather an orderly mob around GMT, to protect
its imperial virginity, when the WGS84 redefinition of the geodesic
origo changed it by five and a half second ?

Let me remind you that WGS84 _also_ redefined UTC.

Can we please drop this nonsense now ?

Or at least queue it, where it belongs, behind the still pending
tax-refund for the 12 missing days in september 1752 ?

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe