[LEAPSECS] h2g2

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Fri Sep 3 14:59:31 EDT 2010

> I really liked your earlier idea of setting up an NTP server that would

> serve a smooth, variable-rate timescale like UT1 or UTS or UTC-SLS, and

> have an associated pledge to continue serving this form of Earth-following

> time regardless of what the ITU does to UTC. I am thinking along very

> similar lines myself.

really, it would be a bit of a gimmick

if you are serious though and implement some server and client
softare - I'd be happy to host the downloads and deploy on
2038bug.com

> But as long as you and I continue to operate our own law-defiant NTP

> servers which serve our realization of Earth time instead of the s**t

> that ITU peddles, those nature-loving people who wish to live their

> personal lives on mean solar time can simply choose to point their own

> ntpd instances at our servers instead of those following the ITU -

> problem solved.

well the number of user's we are likely to accrue would be
small - most people that use NTP need their servers to stay
within a few milliseconds of everyone else - that is *why*
they use NTP.

-paul