[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Sep 4 09:59:50 EDT 2010

In message: <060DD241-6C0D-4A8E-8E12-42C5FE198361 at batten.eu.org>
Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes:

: > Of course, by

: > saying that, you still have the problem. NTP doesn't solve the leap

: > second problem: you still have weird stuff that happens at the leap

: > second.

:

: But no-one, for an engineering value of no-one, cares. Once every few

: years, hourly statistics will be off by 0.03%. Where's the pressure

: coming from to claim this is an issue?

That's rather my point: NTP doesn't get things right, and there's an
attitude that it doesn't matter since things are mostly papered over.
Even without NTP things are mostly right, but nobody cares enough to
get it right. So almost nothing gets leap seconds right, and we're
left with a lot of warts in the system because of it.

It is because of the 'good enough' attitude that doing any better is
almost impossible for those applications that do care.

Warner