[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Sep 4 10:50:13 EDT 2010

In message <1283609887.9314.51.camel at localhost>, Paul Sheer writes:

>On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 07:59 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:

>And I did retort: "has it ever been a problem, or have you ever

>had a customer effected by leap seconds?"

>And they said: "no"

Ahh, the deception of woolly thinking and selection bias :-)

What you really asked was: "Do you recall any customers reports
of leap second effects reaching you ?"

Amongst the hasty conclusions you jumped to are:

1. That the effect would be recognized as related to leap seconds.

2. That it would be reported.

3. That it would be reported as related to leap seconds.

4. That the report would be sent to your company.

5. That support would receive the report.

6. That support would recognize the report as related to leap seconds.

7. That support would remember it.

None of which are supported by your narrative.

In my experience, the effects of leap seconds seldom if ever get
beyond the first three filters, because leap seconds are "shit that
just happens, and there is nothing we can do about it."

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe