[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Sep 4 18:43:24 EDT 2010

In message <1283634327.9574.120.camel at localhost>, Paul Sheer writes:

>but you know about these reports because... you are psychic?

Because it happens to be something I have worked with for many years.

You may find these two papers relevant to my credentials:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.32.7547

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.20.6775

I have been working with time synchronization in mission critical
systems 1996 or thereabout. When the danish ATC system was replaced,
the first thing they put online was NTP servers written and built
by me.

>sounds like UTC-SLS solves this problem - no?

It's mostly a paperwork problem: it's cheaper to pause production
than perform the tests to prove that it works correctly. It would
be even cheaper if the problem did not exist in the first place.

>> I know several facilities of various kinds I which schedule their

>> yearly maintenance during leap-seconds, or shut down extraordinarily.

>let's discuss these then. URL please?

What I can disclose publically has been disclosed publically on
this list previously. What has been relayed to me in confidence
stays in confidence.

Some of these organizations could get in stock-holder or regulatory
trouble, if their "deficient operating practices" were disclosed.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe