[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Sep 5 03:11:12 EDT 2010

In message <296F9A82-D801-4792-854F-76982723BB7F at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>> It's mostly a paperwork problem: it's cheaper to pause production

>> than perform the tests to prove that it works correctly. It would

>> be even cheaper if the problem did not exist in the first place.

>Too bad the issue is embedded in the real world, not the paper world :-)

Too bad I don't live in your "real world", in my "real world" paperwork
is a very good candidate for the 95% missing mass of the universe.

The main issue for this particular company, is that there is no economical
way to test that a GPS based timing infrastructure handles leap-seconds
correctly.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe