[LEAPSECS] GPS certified for navigation?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Sep 23 15:23:15 EDT 2010

In message: <BBF8E62A-5458-4E22-90AE-493B11CE1036 at noao.edu>
Robert Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> writes:

: An article in the most recent Risks Digest:

:

: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/26.17.html#subj11.1

:

: contains this provocative statement in passing:

:

: "my GPS [...] warns me not to use it for navigation every time I turn it on"

: What precisely is the status of GPS for actual purposes of

: navigation? Obviously astronomy is deemed to be an activity of no

: economic utility whatsoever - it's so easy to write off

: 99.999999999% of the universe :-) That leaves the entire case for

: emasculating UTC resting on the notion that GPS has obsoleted all

: prior navigation technologies. This may be news to the GPS industry

: if they are including such disclaimers in their devices.

GPS is for navigation. My car navigation system tells me not to use
it while the car is moving too. That's got to be a lawyer thing...

Warner