[LEAPSECS] ACM article

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Apr 10 13:51:22 EDT 2011

In message <D4B74F35-B1EC-4AD5-BF07-DDE6D7B674D5 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>>> The current definition of UTC permits it to be used to recover an interval timescale.

>> Not if you are scheduling events in the future.

>Righto! Time-of-day and interval timekeeping are two distinct

>things. No single system can convey both with 100% self-consistence.

...and all were asking is that one particular timecale, the one that
runs our lives, originates on interval time, rather than earth rotation.

Given that astronomers have 10+ timescales, it is an amazing lack
of charity, that they can not spare one of them for the rest of the
populations needs.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe