[LEAPSECS] Caveat emptor!

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 12 06:13:11 EDT 2011

> The Radio 4 time signal pips used to be produced by the RGO time service,

> so they were also a means of broadcasting official legal time. The Radio 4

> long-wave transmitter also was and remains a frequency standard. However

> since the RGO's time service was terminated the BBC have generated the

> pips themselves from GPS.

There is also a phase modulated code on top of the BBC Radio 4 long
wave transmission that includes the UTC time, up to the minute.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1984-19.pdf

Though I guess this is provided by the BBC rather than the NPL. The
French have something similar on top of TDF.

David.