[LEAPSECS] Caveat emptor!

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Apr 12 07:25:47 EDT 2011

Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> wrote:

> > There is also a phase modulated code on top of the BBC Radio 4 long

> > wave transmission that includes the UTC time, up to the minute.

> Fascinating. One cannot help but wonder _why_ this work was done.

The Radio 4 data signal is also used to control "Economy 7" teleswitch
electricity meters, so that appliances (especially storage heaters) can
use cheaper electricity at night. (I don't know if there are any other
applications of the data service.)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
South Utsire: Northwesterly 6 to gale 8, decreasing 4 or 5 later. Moderate or