[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 53, Issue 13

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Apr 13 17:49:09 EDT 2011

> Where can I buy one of those watches and how much will it cost me?

Right, only the very best quartz wristwatches are accurate enough
to expose leap seconds when they occur. I got my Pulsar PSR-10
for $125 on sale at Penny's many years ago. It's rated something
like 10 seconds a year (the "10" in PSR10), so if you keep an eye
on it every day, or maybe even as infrequently as once a week, a
leap second in local time shows up nicely.

On the other hand, most radio controlled watches (e.g., WWVB
here in the USA) make a cute jump in time every night, and after
a leap second, presumably even more so. For details see:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/Junghans/

/tvb