[LEAPSECS] the abbreviation UTC

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 08:06:18 EDT 2011

On 8/18/2011 4:30 AM, mike cook wrote:

Could this be a good argument for getting parking ticket offences
thrown out?

Under current rules, UTC is an approximation to mean solar time at some
meridian that passes through the grounds of the Royal Observatory,
Greenwich (although not necessarily the crosshair of the Airy Transit
Circle). The wristwatch of the traffic enforcement officer is an
approximation to the mean solar time that is in force as civil time in
the UK. Ignoring differences of one hour due to summer time, the
difference between UTC and the civil time is probably less than one
second. (It is less than 0.9 s between UT1 and UTC, and I would guess
the various variations in the plausible locations of the meridian and
the various algorithms for computing mean time would be less than 0.1
s.) As a rule of thumb, higher accuracy standard should have a tolerance
of 1/3 of a lower accuracy standard that is to be calibrated. Thus, if
there is an uncertainty of +/- 1 s in the meaning of GMT, the traffic
enforcement officer's wristwatch may still be calibrated with UTC
provided the wristwatch need not have an accuracy of better than +/- 3s.

I would be most surprised if there is an actual written procedure that
traffic officers must follow in setting their wristwatches and a
specified grace period officers must allow before issuing a citation,
but maybe the officers in the UK are better organized than the ones I've
encountered in the USA.

Gerry Ashton