[LEAPSECS] No leapseconds on trains

Paul J. Ste. Marie paul_j at ste-marie.org
Thu Dec 1 12:04:46 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 8:48 AM, Clive D.W. Feather allegedly wrote:
> Hmm, they may well be logging each track circuit transition (I
> believe that SSIs here do that).

A bit coarser than that. Typically the times were recorded at
interlockings and other junctions. From what I recall of the control
panels, there was maybe 4-5 position sensors per track between
interlockings and 10-12 across all tracks inside the interlocking.

On 11/20/2011 3:01 AM, Ian Batten allegedly wrote:

> average freight train in the USA is 6500 feet long (ie substantially

> over a mile) and travels at an average of around 20mph, or at most

> 30mph.

These were passenger trains (interspersed with freight), so average
speeds were more like 80 mph and length was 4-5 cars, versus 100 or so
for freight.

--
--Paul