[LEAPSECS] Computer Network Time Synchronization, 2nd Ed.

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:12:48 EST 2011

I used a U.S. "black friday" discount to buy a copy of the 2nd edition of Dave Mills' "Computer Network Time Synchronization: The Network Time Protocol on Earth and in Space". I've had the library's copy of the 1st edition on my shelf for a long time, renewing as needed several times over. The new book is much thicker than the previous version and includes additional material. In particular I want to work through the implications of time transfer techniques for space missions.

It would be nice if the ITU deliberations would feature discussions pivoting on such substantive references. From the last few messages, it sounds rather that delegates will wave their paddles and that will be that (for a proposal many may not have even read).

Quoting from Mills' chapter on "Metrology and Chronometry of the NTP Timescale", p. 235:

"So, why bother with UTC in the first place? It would be much simpler to adopt TAI and avoid leap seconds altogether, as in fact the case with the POSIX specification. However, there is no escaping that synchronization with conventional human activities requires UTC or in case of birth and death certificates UT1. There are many facets of this argument, some based on practical matters like a reliable source of historic and anticipated leap second epochs and suitable provisions in the computer time management software and some based on anecdotal sensibilities. In the end, it seems prudent that the computer clock runs in UTC with leap insertions as described."

Now, I can already hear the leapsecs replies :-) Before folks get started, please consider that the ITU is not even considering the option that Mills is outlining. Without rehashing a dozen years of discussions, the fact is simply that we here on this list are far more willing to entertain creative options than what is contained in the embargoed ITU proposal.

We deserve a better process and more attention to substantive engineering details.

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory
--
PS - independently of the leap second issue, I strongly recommend either edition of Mills' NTP book. Do folks here have other "timely" book recommendations for Holiday reading? I will also recommend McCarthy & Seidelmann's "Time: from Earth Rotation to Atomic Physics".