[LEAPSECS] Computer Network Time Synchronization, 2nd Ed.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Dec 7 06:38:18 EST 2011

In message <5710B6B4-110E-4342-A593-32D3C71039AB at batten.eu.org>, Ian Batten wri
tes:

>> Birthdays do not even get adjusted with/for timezones: You are

>> born and die on civil time,

>Which of course takes us round in circles, because in some countries

>civil time _is_ UT1.

Well, Earth Rotataion takes us round in circles, so, yes ?

The point here is that when somebody says "I'm born on 31st of
march" the uncertainty is +/- 23:59:59 until they also tell you
where they were born.

The difference between UT1 and UTC in that context is utterly ridiculously
insignificant, even if it is theoretically applicable.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe