[LEAPSECS] draft revision of ITU-R TF.460-6

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Thu Dec 8 15:04:34 EST 2011

Warner Losh wrote:

>TAI is a paper clock.

In that sense, so is UTC. The proposed revision leaves intact the
sentence about TAI and UTC differing by an integral number of seconds.

>UTC, on the other hand, is actively measured and computed in real-time

>and physical devices are steered to be on-time and on-frequency for UTC.

These devices serve equally well as a realisation of TAI.

I'm failing to see any relevant difference between TAI and UTC here, other
than that the author of the amendment wants his mitts on the name "UTC".

-zefram