[LEAPSECS] New calendar, eliminates drift!

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Dec 28 09:57:09 EST 2011

Clicking through to their web site:

http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/calendar.html

one finds that discarding four centuries of the Gregorian calendar is given the same amount of planning as discarding a similarly long investment in Greenwich Mean Time, namely five years and you're on your own.

In both cases this is pitifully insufficient - whatever one thinks of the two utopian proposals. As a data point here, consider that after a dozen years the level of awareness and understanding of even the fact of a proposal to redefine UTC is in the single digits - and that's among professionals in related fields.

To accomplish such a transition, much more time as well as some sort of semi-permanent clearing-house would be needed to provide vetted information.

Rob