[LEAPSECS] New calendar, eliminates drift!

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Thu Dec 29 03:03:06 EST 2011

On 29 Dec 2011, at 03:53, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2011 at 13:46, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:

>> Naw, just get a papal bull and wait a few centuries for the holdouts to

>> change over. Russia held out until 1917 if memory serves.

> Oh, there's plenty of bull involved in that proposal, but I don't

> think it's papal.

It's also old bull. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Calendar is pretty much the same idea seventy years ago. Calendar Reform is one of those things like Spelling Reform and Esperanto, which exercise well-intentioned people of the left who confuse neat and tidy order with appreciable common benefit, and claim minor long-term benefits whilst ignoring massive short-term costs.

ian