[LEAPSECS] "China move could call time on GMT"

Dennis Ferguson dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:13:19 EST 2011

This morning's South China Morning Post has an article about China
dropping opposition to the change to UTC. The headline is here

http://www.scmp.com

but the body is behind a paywall.

Here are the quotes from Liu Changhong, who works for China's
equivalent of NIST and who is apparently the official spokesman
on the issue now:

"A few years ago we could not understand some technical
complaints from the US and took them as a plot against
China because we had not encountered those problems,"
Liu said. "Now we do. Our delegation will attend the
meeting with an open mind. If most countries want the
change, we will vote for it."

And, concerning Beidou:

China has found itself in a similar situation since the
deployment of its Beidou navigation system, Liu said.

"The leap-second operation has made ground devices more
difficult to maintain," Liu said. "Dropping the leap
second would give everyone a break, especially our
consumers. We sweat each time a leap second operation
is called, for fear that the equipment might go wrong."

It seems like the difference between opposition and support
might be the ownership of a satellite navigation system (which
uses Yet Another Not-UTC Timescale for its system time).

Dennis Ferguson