[LEAPSECS] "China move could call time on GMT"

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Dec 31 08:32:05 EST 2011

A white paper on legal ramifications is available at:

http://futureofutc.org/preprints/04_AAS_11-662_Seago.pdf

with conference slides and transcribed discussions at:

http://futureofutc.org/program/presentations/AAS_11-662_Seago.ppt.pdf and
http://futureofutc.org/preprints/05_AAS_11-662_discuss_2.pdf

It might also be productive to wonder what would happen to the concepts of "Universal Time" and "Greenwich Mean Time" themselves should the ITU proposal be adopted. Look at the subject line of this thread for an example - UTC is nowhere in sight. This list has spent a dozen years debating overtly technical details using terms of art like UTC and UT1. The public will naturally conflate these with just plain UT and GMT.

Note that the ITU proposal makes no mention of this notion of an hour tolerance that some have batted about as fact. It simply turns UTC into TAI with an offset. Whatever our diverse opinions on the subject, could we at least discuss what is actually proposed:

http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/draftTF460-7nt.html

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory