[LEAPSECS] Meeting with Wayne Whyte

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Feb 1 13:56:52 EST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> But Universal Time is *inherently* unpredictable. (That's its charm :-)

> No, that's merely an artifact of how it is defined.

Note I said "Universal Time" not "UTC". If you haven't picked up on the subtle vibe, the astronomers here are perhaps most bent out of shape over the notion of redefining the thing called "Coordinated Universal Time" to no longer be a kind of Universal Time.

>> - Nobody at the ITU appears to have considered such an option.

> ... And nobody who cared for that option, seems to have bothered doing the ground work either.

By all means get to work! It would be easier to recruit folks to work on such a project if the ITU's sword of Damocles weren't hanging over our heads.

Rob