[LEAPSECS] Consensus building?

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Feb 2 05:51:43 EST 2011

This list is good at disagreeing, but given the brainpower here,
perhaps some consensus building might be good? I'll try one approach,
and see what happens.

The concept here is to initially create a list of relevant statements
that *everyone* agrees with and no-one disagrees with. ie. remove
opinions and solutions and focus on agreement first.

These statements will begin by being very banal, but later would be
more challenging. Each statement must be reasonably precise and
*standalone*. It is imperitive that any statement is not read as being
an implication of any further statement which you personally might
disagree with. I'll start with some that I think are agreed, if fairly
banal.

Statements:
- the SI-second is a standardised unit of measurement
- the SI-second is currently defined as a fixed number of transitions
of a caesium atom
- the current definition of the SI-second was ratified in 1967
- the solar-day is a commonly used unit of measurement
- the solar day is not currently a fixed number of SI-seconds
- the length of a solar day in SI-seconds varies over time

If anyone disgrees with a statement, then say so. And if you like the
approach, then suggest some more statements you believe are generally
agreed (eg. try defning solar-day, TAI, UT1, UT, UTC in a way
everyone would agree with, if necessary using "currently" to limit the
scope of a definition)

Stephen