[LEAPSECS] Consensus building?

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Feb 2 12:54:48 EST 2011

Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> You could have multiple types of seconds, like you have troy and

> avoirdupois ounces, and U.S. and imperial gallons.

Yes, like I've been advocating all along.

> NASA is already using a Martian second, based on subdividing the

> solar day of Mars, that is a different length from the SI or Earth

> rotation seconds.

Yup, a perfect case in point. The size of NASA's team dealing with Mars
exploration is considerably smaller than the Earth's population base
that needs to use civil time, yet the PHK-style approach of keeping the
second strictly SI and letting the day not matter didn't work even for
the smart folks at NASA. If the mean solar day is important on Mars
even though there are no humans there at the present moment (at least
none that we know of officially), what makes you think that it could be
dispensed away on Earth?

MS