[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 51, Issue 10

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Feb 2 14:45:52 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Finkleman, Dave wrote:

> That a minute is 60 SI seconds except when there are 61 applies to some

> other kind of minute than an "SI Minute."

8601 doesn't define such a thing as an "SI minute" :-)

> I believe that the SI second is defined at sea level in an Earth Fixed

> reference frame.

I was just wondering about that. It seems that the second itself is
defined independent of any reference frame. It is when you assemble SI
seconds into a timescale that you need to care about the reference frame.
So for the purpose of pedantic definitions, we should probably specify
things like the "TAI minute" which is an interval of 60 SI seconds as
realised on the geoid.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,