[LEAPSECS] Correspondence of solar to civil time

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Tue Feb 8 03:34:49 EST 2011

On 8 Feb 2011, at 04:07, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

> Recently my mom was visiting me in Florida from New York, and when I

> was taking her to the airport, she noticed the time was about 4:45

> PM, and that it was broad daylight outside, and remarked that at this

> time in New York it would be dark already. This is an example of how

> people do make note of the correspondence of civil time to solar time

> in their particular locality at a particular time of year,

Yes, but presumably that effect is as much about being closer to the
equator (ie, longer day, presuming "recently" means "this winter") as
it is about east/west (ie the delta between local apparent solar time
and UTC+TZ). Play with the clocks all you like, it won't yield more
hours of daylight in the winter.

ian